Monday, 26 December 2016

Humanity - for or against.....?

Compassion is one of my values, something that I hold dear. Humour is something that I value too..

Many years ago, when I was a children's nurse working in a high-dependency unit, I came across an article in a professional journal talking about 'black humour' as a release mechanism for stress in resuscitation teams, I remember thinking that it wasn't just us then...!

Last night, Christmas Day, me and the family where playing 'Cards Against Humanity', what a hoot!  I just wasn't actually looking forward to the game, I was tired (boo hoo), Tracey was her encouraging self and I relented. I was really glad. My favourite moment was when my wife played the 'a mime having a stroke' in response to my 'airport security prohibits.....'  black card. Clearly Tracey won that round, I couldn't actually get the words out, I was literally crying with laughter. Months ago, I couldn't get the words out for completely different reasons. Joking aside, it was a pretty good rehab opportunity, the speech component was great for linguistic dexterity and confidence building and manual dexterity from the card manipulation.

Adversity is a great way to feel human, and the emotions that come with it.

John Williams, a stand-up comedian, has a show in which he talks about his son's autism. When I heard an excerpt on on the radio this time last year, I was crying with sadness and joy in equal measure. There's a link to an 15 minute excerpt recorded for Radio 4's 'Four Thought' below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05sttjh

We all have the capability and the right to feel what we feel. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise. But you can choose how you feel.......

No comments:

Post a Comment