Sunday, 12 March 2017

We've all got choices.....

Sometimes I have choices, on one hand, I want to wallow in self-pity, on the other, I want take control, even if I can only control my emotions.

Sometimes I feel that I have no choices at all. That isn't true, I've always got choices.

I find focussing on my goals is helpful. It gives me direction and something to aim for. What do I want? In life? Today,? At work?

And then what resources do I have? What allies?

I've given up on focussing on what I don't want to achieve, what I don't have, people who disract me.

This single mindedness isn't everybody's cup of tea, stripping away the emotions allows me to focus on what I want to get done. I realise that some people need (choose) to focus on the emotions (their emotional needs) as opposed to getting the thing done.

That's why I choose to associate with positive people, people who inspire me, challenge me or people who encourage me.

Emotional choice? Can someone choose how they feel? I believe so, yes.

We are made up of our beliefs and our values, things that we know to be true, the lessons that were taught to us in our formative years.

Our emotions stem from our beliefs and values. The situation, the circumstances, the people that we find ourselves in or surrounded by, all elicit an emotional response within us. What if we can reflect on our values and beliefs? What if we can reflect on our emotions and what prompts us to feel the way that we do?

What if we could then minimise the negative emotions? We then have more choices.

Sometimes, I lay in bed, not looking forward to the struggle before me (It was a lot worse in the early days of my recovery!!!!). I have a couple of choices in front of me. Stay in bed, get up and moan about everything and how hard everything is...... or gird my loins, stick a smile on my face and sing a song in my heart! Sometimes habits help me choose, I've taken to listening to my favourite music in my car on the way to work, instead the Today program on Radio 4, frankly, I'm at least 1% more cheerful when I get to the office. The clothes I wear, how many cars I flash to let them out I front of me, I smile and say "Good morning". They are all choices. Taken in the right mind-set to achieve what I want achieve today.

Sometimes I need to adopt a different mind-set, a different 'mask' if you like, different 'emotions', (or 'behaviours'.....) to get stuff done. Sometimes people don't like that, the behaviour, the perceived inauthenticity, the single-mindedness. And there's a danger, when you've put a mask on, can you take it off? Or have you forgotten the real you?

Thinking yourself into positive state will help you to achieve things. But it's hard. Achieving things is hard, otherwise everybody would achieving things everyday.

Can you be 1% more positive today than you were yesterday?

No comments:

Post a Comment